History of the Hancock Christian Clearing House (HCCH)
Organized in 1993-4 when thirteen churches in Findlay agreed to cooperate by forming a new non-profit organization to aid the needy within the county by performing the services that individual churches were doing through various funds such as Family Emergency, Brother’s Keeper, etc.
- HCCH began operation on November 7, 1994.
- The First Christian Church, 620 N. Main St., Findlay was the first home of HCCH. It remained in that location until April 30, 2006.
- In May 2006, HCCH opened at The Family Center at 1800 N. Blanchard St., Findlay.
- In HCCH’s first full year of operation in 1995, 1,150 families were helped with $29,352.06.
- Fifteen years later, in 2009, there were 3,997 families helped with $213,464.38. In addition, two other programs provided $160,000 in assistance to other clients.
- HCCH began as an all volunteer organization until 1999 when a part-time director was employed.
- In 2004, two more staff employees were added to allow the organization the ability to grow and move into new areas of assistance.
- HCCH remains primarily a volunteer organization with over 70 active volunteers. Find out more about volunteering.
In addition to the original purpose of HCCH (which was emergency financial assistance), the organization continues to grow in expanded aids to clients:
- Ohio Benefit Bank is a program where HCCH volunteers help clients determine eligibility for government programs such as food stamps.
- Neighbor to Neighbor is a program where HCCH volunteers help clients take advantage of a special American Electric Power program to help pay electric bills during certain times of the year.
- Partners in Progress is a program where HCCH offers several aids for clients to improve their skills at such things as budgeting or nutrition.